Designed for Excellence: Meet The Blue Mango Award for Placemaking Finalists
Twenty one projects made the shortlist for the Blue Mango Award for Placemaking, an award that aims to celebrate excellent design within the territories of Cebu Province, Bohol Province, and Negros Oriental. First launched in 2019, the Blue Mango Awards is an awards program initiated by Cebu Design Week to recognize creative minds and innovative ideas.
The chosen projects are divided into four categories: Architecture-Built, Architecture-Future, Interior-Built, Interior-Future. The winners will be awarded with “Seal of Excellence” for exemplifying Excellent Design which must be authentic, creative, and inherently placemaking.
Receiving a Seal of Excellence celebrates the challenges accepted in the pursuit of excellence. It serves as a visual symbol to educate users to seek such quality in the spaces they occupy. The Seal also aims to create a cycle that promotes the importance of Professions in Design.
The Blue Mango Award for Placemaking shortlist include the following projects:
- Richter Jansen Architecture Office, Taclobo, Dumaguete by Ritcher Jansen Y. Tia
- A Bamboo Farm Cafe, Carmen Cebu by M+S Studio Co.
- A Tiny Treehugger Home, Carmen Cebu by M+S Studio Co.
- Knight Juanito I. King South Hall, Mandaue City, Cebu by Arkinamix, Ren Design Studio, Zubu Design Associates
- One Montage Tower, Cebu City by Arkinamix
- Cor Jesu Oratory, Mandaue City, Cebu by Kenneth Cobonpue, Zubu Design Associates
- A Bamboo Village, Carmen Cebu by M+S Studio Co.
- Euterra | A Proposed Mixed Use Development, Busay, Cebu by San Studio
- BAHA’I Center Cebu, Cebu City by VIA Architecture + Design
- A Proposed Chapel, Busay, Cebu by San Studio
- Proposed Carbon Heritage Redevelopment, Cebu City by Visionarch
- House Organica, Busay, Cebu City by Studio Story
- The Shards, Mandaue City, Cebu
- CasAmigos Beach House, Daan Bantayan, Cebu by 22AD Studio
Interior Design – Built Works
- S Mountain Home, Adlaon Cebu City by M+S Studio Co.
- Solea Coast Interiors, Danao, Panglao, Bohol by M+S Studio Co.
- Raya Clinic, Banilad, Cebu City 22AD Studio
Interior Design – Future Projects
- Luca Hotel Interiors, Panglao, Bohol by DEQA Design Collaborative
- G Hotel All Day Dining Restaurant, Mactan Cebu by DEQA Design Collaborative
- Maria Luisa Residence, Cebu City by Mari Interior Studio
- Vernacular Celebration, A Pier Restaurant Liloan Cebu by Liña Design City
The finalists for each category were chosen by a set of jury. For interiors, the jury consists of Morfosis, Chat Fores, and Ivy Almario; for Architecture-Built, Sudarshan Kadhka, Edwin Uy, and Jim Caumeron; for Architecture-Future, Deo Alam, Buck Sia, and AJ Javier complete the jury.
The jury chose these projects based on the following criteria:
• Does the project fit the purpose for which it is designed?
• Does the design enhance the lives and operations of its users and visitors?
• Is the project responsibly built and sustainable for years to come?
• Does the design possess ambition appropriate to its context?
• Does the design delight?
• Does the design possess the potential to be a cherished part of its context?
• Is there a design ambition appropriate in its context?
• Are the underlying ideas surrounding the design nuanced, complex and though-provoking?
• Are there innovative methods and techniques applied in the design?
The Blue Mango Awards for Placemaking awarding ceremony will culminate during the Cebu Design Week on November 26, 2022, from 1:00PM to 6:00PM. A Design Talk entitled Intuition/Experience will also take place. Select members of the jury will share how intuition and experience drove their most iconic and award winning designs. Selected shortlisted projects will also be presented to vie for special commendation.